On Saturday we celebrated my grandmother’s 100th birthday. In her honor, here’s my top ten list of the best advice and insight she’s shared with me these past 57 years:
1. A Peace rose makes a good cut flower.
2. A man can’t live without a woman. Your husband might love you, but don’t expect him to pine away when you’re gone. He’ll find a replacement.
3. Just because you don’t use a toilet doesn’t mean you don’t have to clean it.
4. Everything that goes wrong for your children will be your fault, and none of their successes will have anything to do with you.
5. Keep your ironing board set up all the time.
6. If you freeze cookies and then pop them into the microwave for a few seconds, they’ll taste like they’re fresh out of the oven.
7. Don’t put off things you want to do until you retire. By the time you reach retirement, you might not feel like doing them anymore.
8. Make your bed every day. If you have the sheets on tight enough, you should be able to bounce a quarter on them.
9. If you don’t know how to spell a word, use a dictionary.
10. Tell people you love them.